The AP-Petside.com Poll
“Holiday shopping for pets.”
Associated Press and Petside.com
Publication date: December 8, 2010
Interview dates: October 13 – October 20, 2010
1. The study was conducted by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Corporate Communications.
2. The study was sponsored by the Associated Press and Petside.com.
3. The AP would not have a vested interest in finding a particular result. Petside.com provides pet information and sells pet supplies. Petside.com would want a high percentage of people to buy their pets Christmas gifts, and if people read a poll that says other people are buying gifts for their pets, it is possible more people will decide to do so.
4. Yes, exact information on methodology is provided. The poll was conducted by telephone, “based on a nationally-representative probability sample of 1,000 pet owners age 18 or older… The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 4.0 percentage points at the 95% confidence level, for results based on the entire sample of adults.”
5. Yes, the results are communicated clearly in tables.
6. There are no graphs used, but the tables are sufficient for the data.