1. The survey was conducted by Gallup.com
2. The sponsorship was by The Des Moines Register
3. Any sponsor would be interested in finding this result, especially since it is negative because if it wasn't negative, then there wouldn't really be anything interesting to report. Average doesn't make headlines.
4. The methodology for the survey would be that Gallup electronically polled 500,000 students from 5th to 12th grade. By all appearances, the survey appears to use a random sample of students but information is lacking.
5. The results were communicated clearly but it would have been interesting to know more about what types of questions were asked on the survey.
6. No graphs were used.
Eller, Donnelle. Poll Finds Students Less Engaged Over Time. USA Today. 7 Jan, 2013. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/07/poll-students-less-engaged-over-time/1566102/