Wednesday, May 26, 2010

SIP Proposals

For my SIP using publicly available data would analyze the increase in the autism rate over the past three decades. In the 1980's autism affected about 1 in every 10,000 children. By the late 1990's this number has increased to 1 in every 166 children. Now this number is estimated to be every 1 in 110 children. Some reasons for this increase are environmental effects increasing, and more things are being considered autistic. To study this I could compare the raw data to reported data by organizations, and hypothesis test how autism affects different races differently. Some data on autism could be found at autism society of america.
For a SIP where I could collect data on my own I would analyze the family income of incoming freshman. To study this I could encourage the college to add this to some required form, and keep the results anonymous. I could also survey incoming freshman myself while also keeping the results anonymous. A possible hypothesis is to compare the GPA of freshman to their family income. A possible sample for the survey would be to systematically select every 8th freshman in alphabetical order.

Alex Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment